My Experience Studying Japanese in Kyoto

2022年10月12日水曜日

English

t f B! P L

 

Hi there! My name is Pamela, and I’m from the United States. I’m currently a student in the Advanced 1 (上級1) class. This is my third semester at KICL, and my second attending classes in person. I was originally set to begin my studies in April 2020, but was unable to enter Japan due to the COVID-19 pandemic. After more than a year and a half of waiting, I started to doubt that any experience could outweigh the agony of being stuck in limbo – but I am happy to say that my experience here has been more than worth it.

I started studying Japanese ten years ago, but only had three years of formal study. I had few opportunities to take classes once I graduated from university, and I lacked the discipline for self-study. When I finally decided to get serious about learning Japanese, I knew that an immersive environment would be most beneficial. I was attracted to KICL because it promised a rigorous program, and testimonials from former students uniformly praised the quality of instruction. I also liked how I could study at KICL for up to two years, whereas many other schools only offered only one-year programs. A longer course would give me more time not only to improve my language skills, but also to adjust to life in a country and culture so different from my own.


The cherry blossoms were in bloom when I finally arrived - what a treat!


Just as I was promised, the coursework at KICL is challenging without being overwhelming. All classes, from the lowest level to the highest, are conducted entirely in Japanese. While this is intimidating at first, you’ll notice your abilities improving quickly. Class focuses on every aspect of language learning—reading, writing, listening, and speaking—with designated days for activities such as writing essays or giving presentations. There are also several elective classes offered in the afternoons, ranging from test prep courses for the JLPT and EJU, to classes on calligraphy and Kyoto history and culture. While the afternoon courses aren’t mandatory, I highly recommend them as a way to reinforce what you learn in your morning class, as well as a chance to meet students from other levels.


Learning a foreign language can be frustrating, and making mistakes is an important (if occasionally embarrassing!) part of the process. The teachers at KICL are endlessly patient and supportive, and truly want to see their students succeed. There have been times where I doubted my abilities and questioned if I would ever be confident speaking Japanese, but my teachers were always positive about the progress I’d made and encouraged me to keep trying. The main office is also very welcoming and proactive about reaching out to students. During the year and a half I was waiting to enter the country, they regularly stayed in contact with us regarding the border situation and guided us through the visa application process. Even after I arrived in Japan, they continued to offer help with settling in.


Of course, life at KICL isn’t solely about academics! The school holds “Culture Day” every semester after midterm exams. Instead of their regular lessons, students attend a class on a traditional Japanese art, such as taiko, ikebana and yuzen. Since my first semester was online, my taiko experience was limited to banging pencils on my desk—so I was thrilled to be able to play the real thing last semester! KICL students can join student clubs at the Kyoto University of the Arts, and the school regularly publicizes events for cultural exchange. You’ll also quickly become friends with your classmates. I love hearing how everyone became interested in learning Japanese, and what brought them to Kyoto; many want to pursue a career or higher education in Japan, but there are also those who are fulfilling a lifelong dream and studying just for the pleasure of it.


Enjoying the peaceful atmosphere of the Kyoto Imperial Palace... not far from the city center!

Naturally, one of the major draws of studying at KICL is the opportunity to live in Kyoto. I previously spent a year in Tokyo and loved the big-city life, but when I decided to study at a language school, I wanted to try somewhere new. Kyoto ended up being the perfect choice: it has the benefits and conveniences of urban life, but at a more relaxed pace compared to the hustle and bustle of Tokyo or Osaka. You can almost forget you’re in a city when you’re enjoying nature at the Kyoto Imperial Palace gardens, but it’s just a short bus ride away from the vibrant shopping centers at Shijo Kawaramachi. Kyoto’s storied history means there’s no shortage of sightseeing spots within the city limits, but it’s also in a convenient location relative to other must-see places like Nara or Kobe.



Praying for beauty at Kawai Shrine - can you guess which plaque is mine?

When I first applied to language school, I planned to return to the US after graduation. But after seeing my classmates go on to university or join the workforce, I’ve started to consider staying in Japan. Whatever the future holds, I’m certain that my time at KICL will prepare me to achieve my goals—it was definitely worth the wait!


Watching the sunset from my apartment balcony


Translate

Applications

入學募集要項

Popular Entries / 人気の記事

KICL Official Homepage

Facebook

QooQ