Path to My Dream through KICL (Japanese Language School in Kyoto)

2015年1月19日月曜日

English

t f B! P L
I am a former KICL student from Finland. I came to Japan in October 2012. As I write this, I’ve been here for a little over 2 years. And what a great two years it has been.

I came to Japan with only one purpose in mind: studying. My plan was to study at KICL for 1,5 years and then advance into Kyoto Institute of Design. I was still in high school in Finland when I decided that I wanted to become a game designer, but since studying and employment possibilities in that field are very limited in my home country, I thought that I had to move to a different country to achieve my goals. And since I had always wanted to experience life outside of Finland anyway, it seemed like a good idea. My parents were a bit reluctant at first, but after they realized that this was something I really wanted to do, they have been very supportive.

Before arriving to Japan, I was a bit unsure whether or not I could handle the language school where all the lessons were only in Japanese. I did have some small trouble at first because I wasn’t used to actually speaking in Japanese, but I got used to it in no time. When you have to use Japanese in everyday life, you will be able to hold a proper conversation before you even realize how much your language skills have actually evolved. It’s a very humbling feeling, really. One day you don’t understand anything that’s been said, and after a while you can understand so much. The moment you realize that you speak and understand a language you didn’t speak a word a year or two ago, is one of the best feelings I have ever experienced. This is for a great part thanks to the teachers and staff of KICL, who supported and guided my Japanese studies all the way.

Studying at KICL was one of the best times of my life. It was probably the first time in my life that I actually enjoyed going to school. The classes were interesting and they had a lot of variety, so I got to learn something new every day. There was also time for enjoying the life in Japan, of course, so every day wasn’t full of studying. I travelled with my classmates to many places, and I also started to practice kyuudou, Japanese archery, with my fellow schoolmates. The staff also helped with any problems I faced with my life in Japan, like when I was moving to a new apartment and when I going to apply for Kyoto Institute of Design. Studying at KICL gave me a very good ground of understanding for Japan, not only the language, but also the culture.


I graduated KICL in March 2014 and from there I advanced into Kyoto Institute of Design. I’m steadily moving towards my goals, and I’m thankful for all the wonderful people I have had the pleasure to meet during my time in Japan. Studying at Kyoto Institute of Design has been amazing. Most of the classes include only drawing, which is absolutely fine by me. The classes range from animation to anatomy and digital illustration. I’m the only western student in the school so it took me a while to blend in, but nowadays I’m doing fine and I’ve also become to understand Kansai dialect far better than before. School is fun, and I’ve become fully convinced that this is really what I want to do for a living.




Translate

Applications

入學募集要項

Popular Entries / 人気の記事

KICL Official Homepage

Facebook

QooQ