History of Kyoto Class / 京都文化 II

2015年11月11日水曜日

English

t f B! P L
              I am a student from the United States, and I've been studying at KICL since April 2015. Like many of the students who have written on this blog, I came to KICL looking to significantly improve my Japanese language skills. And in that area, the school has not disappointed. My teachers have been very dedicated to leading us in challenging classes, and adept at answering any questions I have had. But more than that, I have found that my elective, a class on the history of Kyoto, along with KICL’s own location have combined to give me a deeper appreciation of what I can learn every day.
              Our history of Kyoto class is taught entirely in Japanese, and that it itself makes it a great experience. It’s also taught by a teacher whose enthusiasm makes me excited, too. She seems to manage to cover what’s key to the flow of history, and also have time for the little bits of information that make it really come alive.
Imperial Palace Gate, or Hamakuri-gomon. 

There is, of course, a whole lot to cover in a history of Kyoto! Since it has functioned as a cultural or political hub of the nation for hundreds of years, it has racked up a serious number of important events and personages attached to its name. Religious leaders, cultural forerunners, politicos, outlaws and freedom fighters have all called Kyoto their home. Much of what was build here by one proud leader was then built over by rivals, or burned in some of the fires the city has endured. Yet some of it has been carefully preserved or rebuilt.

You could choose any of the major periods in Japanese history and probably visit dozens of spots related to it. My favorite era, however, is the Bakumatsu, or the end of the Edo period and its nearly cataclysmic change into that of Meiji.  So I’ve been to places like Nishi (Western) Honganji, a temple that was used as a housing complex for the Shinsengumi, samurai who were charged with protecting the city. The buildings are such that you can almost imagine their former occupants have simply gone out on a patrol of the city.
             





            It’s possible to walk past history every day in Kyoto and not even realize it. That was the case with this mark on Sanjo-Oobashi, an important bridge that crosses the Kamogawa river at Sanjo street. In 1864, the Shinsengumi staged an attack on an inn called Ikedaya. Apparently, someone fleeing from Ikedaya ran onto the Sanjo-Oobashi and was pursued. A sword hitting the post allegedly left the slash mark you see in the picture. The fact that it could last this long is astonishing to me, but it’s actually the second of these kind of sword marks I’ve seen here. And there are apparently more of them around the city that I haven’t seen yet!



I think that’s what I love so much about Kyoto. There are so many spots where the thoroughly modern sits right next to the very old. And if it’s not in complete harmony, then it’s at least in a slightly jarring truce. Bright, modern lights shine on an old river, and never quite reach older mountains that shelter temples and traditional gardens. On certain nights, the bank of the Kamogawa is still filled with those looking to have a good time, much the way it must have been a hundred and fifty years ago. If you stop on Sanjo-Oobashi, let the chattering tourists pass you by, and look out over the river at night, you can easily let your imagination run away with you and find yourself in a completely different era.

It’s been my history class at KICL that has encouraged me to stop and really look at the city I’m living in. It’s the language I’ve learned at this school that has let me further understand what it is I’m seeing. This city has so much beauty and knowledge to offer to those who are willing to seek it out. I hope that if you get the chance to come here, even for a few months, that you take the time to discover an aspect of Kyoto that means something unique to you. That way you’re sure to remember it for the rest of your life.

Translate

Applications

入學募集要項

Popular Entries / 人気の記事

KICL Official Homepage

Facebook

QooQ