KICL Summer Course Experience

2016年2月24日水曜日

English Summer Course

t f B! P L

Hi there, I'm a student from Hong Kong. 
Last year (2015) I joined the summer language course organized by KICL and had one of the BEST summers of my life.  Believe me, if you want to have a GREAT summer learning Japanese and learning about Japan, look no further, KICL is THE choice.

So why did I choose KICL in the first place?  Well, mainly because of its location in Kyoto and the good price.  Kyoto is a BEAUTIFUL city beyond comparison, and I love walking or cycling around in the city.   In the summer course I learnt Japanese and stayed with a host family for four weeks, but it cost me about the same amount of money that I would have paid for a 3-week or even 2-week course in any other Japanese language school in Kyoto.  In a word, it was great value for money.  Besides, since KICL is located WITHIN a university, I benefited from the very cheap student food offered by the university canteen throughout the course!  A bowl of ramen cost as little as 300 yen.  Nowhere else in Kyoto could you enjoy such good food for such little money.

The course was fun and I have learnt so much. I was put into an intermediate class.  I think the test KICL gave me to do prior to the course really helped to put me in the right class.  And the best thing is that if you eventually find the level of your class too high or too low, you can still request to change to another class after the course has started.  The staff of the KICL were highly professional, efficient and helpful.  The correspondence with the staff of KICL prior to the course (in particular Ms. Habaue) as well as the assistance they offered me during the course was excellent.    

There were four teachers taking turns to teach my class (as far as I know it was the same for very class).  The benefit was that I could listen to four different teachers speaking Japanese and benefit from their respective strengths. What they had in common though was their professionalism.  I found their teaching both fun and effective.  Above all else, they were also kind, friendly and helpful. 
As for my classmates, there were students from different countries: the US, Thailand, Italy, Taiwan, and Switzerland.  I really enjoyed the international atmosphere.  I believe it was KICL's purpose to have students of as many different nationalities as possible in each class.  The class size was small (around 15), so each student could get a lot of individual attention from the teachers.  What's more, the classrooms were spacious, clean and modern.  One could also use the free wifi and the university library for free.  I could not have asked for more.
However, to me, the best part of the whole KICL experience was the homestay.  
Through KICL’s arrangement, I was so fortunate to be able to stay with Kojima-san.  She was nice, kind, patient, interesting, generous and a great cook!  
She introduced me not only to Kyoto and Japan, but also the authentic everyday life of Japanese people.  I met her daughter, son, daugher-in-law, grandchildren, friends, former homestay students, etc. And of course I had to speak Japanese most of the time!  (But whenever things got a bit difficult for me, Kojima-san would explain to me in English because her English is very good.)  My Japanese improved tremendously during my stay.  And I got to experience and know so much more about the country and its people.  I have now fallen head over heels in love with Japan and its culture, thanks to this great KICL experience.  KICL, ありがとうございます. 


So to conclude, if you are reading this post because you are looking for a great summer experience learning Japanese and experiencing Japan, trust me, choose KICL.  You will surely have an unforgettable summer, just as I did.



Translate

Applications

入學募集要項

Popular Entries / 人気の記事

KICL Official Homepage

Facebook

QooQ