STUDYING JAPANESE AT KICL, KYOTO

2016年3月7日月曜日

English

t f B! P L

Hi. I’m from London, UK and I studied at KICL for two terms from level Elementary-2 to Intermediate-2. Before this, I studied Japanese briefly at university, but with little chance to practice listening and speaking I was capable of no more than introductory conversation. With desire to improve and a deep interest in Japanese culture, after graduating I decided to move to and study in Japan to really immerse myself in the language and culture.

Initially for only one term (six months), I had such a great time and achieved so much improvement that I extended my study to another term. Not to sound like an advert, but KICL was brilliant and I highly recommend it.


The well-balanced curriculum not only prepares you well for the JLPT (Japanese language proficiency test) for academic/professional purposes, but also equips you with essential practical Japanese. From the role-playing activities in class I quickly gained confidence in handling everyday situations such as asking/giving directions and making phone reservations etc.


Having three teachers a week offers variety as each has their own distinct teaching style. I found the teachers engaging and extremely approachable. We often organised class dinners in which they joined and it was nice to get to know them on a more casual level.
 
                                                                                Shabu-shabu with the class

I was also happy to have the most amazing classmates with whom I genuinely bonded. The differences in motivations and nationalities made discussions always interesting, and I was able to learn a lot about other cultures and even languages, such as Mandarin Chinese from my Taiwanese classmates. Perhaps you could also pick up another while studying here.
 

End of term class photo
Outside of standard lessons, there are elective classes such as kanji (with calligraphy), Kyoto culture and newspaper reading, as well as field trips and culture days. Not only do these supplement your learning (listening about alternative topics, advanced materials etc.), but they help you to develop insight and appreciation of the culture.
 
 
                                                                     Field trip: group activity at Maruyama Park
 
  
Culture day: chadou (tea ceremony)
 
As KICL is situated within a university, you get access to its facilities (e.g. library, cafeteria) and can join its many clubs and societies. I joined the weekly badminton club and Art Link (international exchange group) which provided opportunity to practice conversation with Japanese people and make friends while enjoying my interests.

Rich in history and incredibly liveable, Kyoto has a wonderful balance between breathtaking World Heritage sites and a vibrant city centre for shopping and entertainment. I loved spending time gathering with friends at the Kamo River, and exploring the city uncovering gems such as secret shrines/temples and quirky bars.


The year of study exceeded my expectations and it was enriching both personally (life experiences and the making of lifelong friends) and academically. To go from barely speaking Japanese to comfortably conversing in it was hugely rewarding, much to the credit of the teachers and support staff. Although now back in the UK, I continue to self-study the language and hope to return to visit Japan again soon.


 


 
 
 

 

Translate

Applications

入學募集要項

Popular Entries / 人気の記事

KICL Official Homepage

Facebook

QooQ