Japanese school and Haunted houses!

2017年2月10日金曜日

English

t f B! P L

Japanese school and Haunted houses!


At the start, I would like to mention that this is my first blog post so I'm not too sure about the quality, but I’ll try my best to convey my thoughts about one of my best experiences studying here at KICL (Kyoto Institute of Culture and Language). I’m an Engineering graduate from Egypt, and have been studying Japanese nonchalantly for about a year and a half before coming to Japan. So, when I started studying at KICL I was enrolled into beginner-intermediate level, which I felt like it was the perfect fit for me.


# Projects


What I’m here for is to tell you about my experience joining one of the many projects you can join during your study at KICL. One of the great things about KICL is that the school is located in the campus of a Japanese University which gives you a lot of chances to speak with natives.

From within all the projects I decided to join the Obakeyashiki (お化け屋敷) project. The problem for me was that the only option was to join as a volunteer, and I guess I wanted a more immersive experience so I asked if I can join as a member. To my surprise the teacher responsible for the coordination between KICL and KUAD’s project center (Kyoto University of Art and Design) was very helpful and arranged it for me so I can join as a member.







# Meetings


If you are wondering what is an "Obakeyashiki" (お化け屋敷)? It basically means a "Haunted house", where お化け means ghost or monster, and 屋敷 means residence or house. In this project, we had to come up with a story, decide the number of rooms and depending on the story, each room would have a different theme to it.




We were divided into 7 teams for each room. 55 KUAD students had joined this project, and I was the only one joining as a member from KICL (others did join but as volunteers). So, each team consisted of 8 members each. In the beginning, it was all about meetings. Deciding on the story, brainstorming ideas, and making sure that the design for each room is as good as we can make it to be. The theme we came up with for the obakeyashiki was the "ピエロ" which means clown.




# Production



After all the planning and brainstorming we did (I couldn’t contribute much though!) it was finally the start of production. At this point the volunteers from KICL were able to join and help the teams that were lacking in members.














Near the end of finishing the Obakeyashiki we started some trial runs to make sure that the ideas we came up with did work as intended and make adjustments if needed.




If I’m being honest here it was really tiring and the schedule was tight; we only took weekends and 4 days off during the summer break. Even with that said it was extremely fun and I was able to learn a bunch of new things. The KUAD’s project center staff were beyond helpful and I was at no time feeling myself in a predicament. Moreover, the Japanese students I was working with were very friendly and made my experience even that more special.




# After the project


Also, all the practice I had in terms of listening at least did work out! I already passed the JLPT N3 and N2 from the first try without even studying for it. My Kanji and reading scores were horribly bad but my listening was what helped me pass the tests. There are a lot more to say about the project but I don’t want to drag it out too much! For example, we visited an Obakeyashiki in Osaka for reference, we played with sparklers and some small fireworks at some point, as well as going out eating on occasions. It’s been a little over 4 months since the project has ended, but I’m still on good terms with many of the friends I made there and go out every once in a while. It really was a great experience and I encourage anyone who is interested to try joining one of the projects here at KICL.

Translate

Applications

入學募集要項

Popular Entries / 人気の記事

KICL Official Homepage

Facebook

QooQ